Complaints about the PCC
What complaints can the Panel consider
Complaints about the conduct of the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) and Deputy PCC (if appointed) are dealt with by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) or the Police and Crime Panel.
Complaints allenging criminal conduct of PCC or the DPCC (or which indicate criminal conduct may have occurred) are recorded by the Panel and referred to the IOPC for investigation.
Non-criminal complaints are handled by the Panel, usually through a process called Informal Resolution.
Informal Resolution means encouraging, helping and bringing about the resolution of a complaint without going through legal or formal proceedings.
For more information please read the Panel's Complaint Procedure.
There are some complaints the Panel can't look into because it has not been given the legal power to do so.
Before summitting a complaint please bear in mind the following:
- The Panel can't consider complaints about operational policing matters or the conduct of police officers. There are dealt with by the Professional Standards Department at West Midlands Police.
- The Panel can't consider complaints about the Chief Constable, the Chief Executive of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, and the Assistant PCC’s. There are dealt with by the Police and Crime Commissioner.
- The Panel does not have the power to investigate, or order actions or review decisions reached in respect of complaints against the police, the Chief Constable or employees of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner.
- The Panel cannot consider complaints about the PCC’s intervention or lack of it into complaints against the police, police officers and staff; failure to act as an advocate for an individual; or failure to investigate a personal case.
- The Panel can't review decisions relating to the Police Complaints Review Process that have been made by the Police and Crime Commissioner or his office.
Submitting a complaint
To make a complaint please complete our online form, or download a copy to complete
If you need help with the form, please email the Panel Office firstname.lastname@example.org.